Thursday, April 16, 2009

New project: making my own clothes like a damn dirty hippie.

Ever since I was little I've always wanted to be able to make my own clothes. The stuff I find in stores is always so close to what I want, but not quite. Like, for instance, this jacket I found at Marshall's today. Right size, good style, nice fabric. All in all, pretty cute. Then I turn it around and there's a giant rhinestone skull on the back. Not cute. Not even cute when skulls were popular. Old fads can be funny when worn well after they've gone out of style, but those damn skulls are still too fresh in my memory to be funny. Plus, rhinestones are difficult to wear without looking like Blanche Devereaux out for a night of geriatric naughtiness.

Anyway, here is my first project:



















The package better not be lying to me when it says "easy."

1 comment:

  1. With regard to the skull thing, if you start wearing skulls NOW you will really be on the leading edge when they come back.

    They used to say that it went in 20 year cycles but look at the mustache. It was popular until 1993. In 2002 it became funny to grow a mustache as a sort of 'look how ironic I am even though I couldn't define irony if I was threatened with castration' way. NOW, the funny mustache has almost been uncool long enough that growing a funny mustache will soon be acceptable again. the serious mustache is very much back, though. The thing with the serious mustache is that you have to be ALL serious and no funny. No suit, tie, mustache, and red converse all-stars. That's just not cool.

    ReplyDelete